Special Education - Elementary
Overview of Services
While the responsibility for special needs students lies with the classroom teacher, when required the resources of the Special Education Resource Teacher (S.E.R.T.) are made available.
- provides support to the classroom teacher
- advocates for the special needs student
- administers educational assessments
- requests psychological assessments
- provides resource withdrawal
- facilitates the development and implementation of the Individual Education Plan (I.E.P.) and the Identification Placement and Review Committee (I.P.R.C.)
- provides Learning Strategies techniques
All students at C.V.D.C.S. have access to technology for classroom use. Students that benefit from assistive technology for reading and writing can make use of Google Read and Write within their G Suite, accessed through their Rainbow Schools Google accounts. Students with individual education plans also have access to specialized equipment based on individual needs.
Literacy Development Resources
Levelled Literacy Intervention reading groups provide targeted support to address areas of need in students’ decoding and comprehension skills.
Lexia Core 5 and Lexia Power Up provide additional support for students with needs in literacy.